We care about your personal data
Global MediCALL Assistance (M) Sdn Bhd. is a Malaysian registered company providing services on a nationwide and cross-border basis . Respecting and protecting your privacy is a top priority for us. This privacy notice explains how and what type of personal data will be collected, used, processed, recorded, hold, stored, shared and disclosed (collectively “process”) why it is collected and to whom it is shared or disclosed. Please read this notice carefully.
For the purpose of this Privacy Notice:
“Authorised Third Parties” means the group of companies of Global MediCALL Assistance Sdn Bhd., associated and related companies, its bankers, professional advisors, agents, consultants, contractors, application developer and/or provider,agents or third party suppliers or service providers with whom we enter into an agreement;
“Global MediCALL Assistance Sdn Bhd.”, “GMCA”, “we”, “us” or “our” means collectively, Global MediCALL Assistance Sdn Bhd. (Company No. 1270675-A), a company incorporated in Malaysia and having its registered office at 24-3F,Jalan Setia Perdana BF U13/BF,Seria 88,Seksyen U13,40170 Shah Alam,Selangor,Malaysia, its subsidiaries, associate and related companies;
“personal data” means any personal information relating to you that you have provided to GMCA or made available to GMCA;
“Sensitive Personal Information” comprises information as to your physical, medical or mental health or condition, commission or alleged commission of any offence, your claims history, any criminal convictions, your genetic or biometric data or any other personal data designated as such; and
“Services” comprises any communications, information or other products or services provided by GMCA to you.
1. Data Controller or Data Processor
Depending on the transaction GMCA could be the data controllers or the data Processors as defined by relevant data protection laws and regulation. As a data controller, we will control, use, process, record, hold, store, share and disclose and is responsible to keep and use of the personal data in paper or electronic files, when as the data processor, we process the personal data solely on behalf of the other data user, and does not process the personal data for our purposes;.
2. Types of Personal Data collected
We may obtain your personal data from various sources, including publicly available information systems, third parties such as brokers and business partners, other insurers, credit reference and fraud prevention agencies, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, loss adjustors, surveyors, intermediaries, premium finance companies, delegated authorities, lawyers (where applicable) and Long-form Privacy Notice reporting agencies, we will collect and process various types of personal data about you (including but not limited to) as follows, which you have provided to us voluntarily:
- Surname, first name
- Date of birth
- Identification document number
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Credit/debit card and bank account details
- Lifestyle and other information
- Username and password to access our Services (collectively “personal data”)
We will also collect where relevant and with your express written consent, process your “sensitive personal data”.
3. Use of Your Personal Data?
We will process your personal data for a number of purposes as shown below:
- to communicate with you;
- to provide Services to you;
- for insurance contract administration (e.g., quotation, underwriting, claims handling)
- for fraud prevention and detection as requested by applicable laws
- to meet any legal obligations (e.g., tax, accounting and administrative obligations)
- to redistribute risk by means of reinsurance and co-insurance as provided by applicable laws
- to process your payment transactions and administer debt recoveries;
- to respond to your requests and inquiries;
- to conduct internal activities;
- for technical administration of our website or applications;
- to conduct market research/surveys and trend/statistical analysis;
- to provide you with information on our products and services;
- for other legitimate business activities of ours;
- for such other purposes in relation to your contract with us;
- for marketing profiling activities relating to our latest products or services;
- to send out invitation for our clients’/customers’ activities;
- for processing of relevant documents of our Services;
- to send our newsletter, information, updates and corporate information by postage, voice/phone call, fax, email, text messages or social media about our services that we think may interest you; and to maintenance and upkeep of customer’s records and data. (collectively “Purposes”).
We will need your personal data for us to provide you with our Services and for the Purposes, if you do not wish to provide this to us, we may not be able to provide the Services you request, that you may be interested in, or to tailor our offerings to your particular requirements.
4. Personal Data Protection Principles
We will process your personal data provided to us by you when you register or apply for or express an interest in our Services with your specific consent.
We will not process personal data without your prior written consent, except for the Purposes and where it is required or permitted under Malaysian law.
If you are below the age of 18, you should ensure that you obtain the prior consent of your parents or legal guardian before using our Services.
Any individual who has provided his/her personal data prior to this Privacy Notice, may contact us using the contact details set out below to know what types of personal data have been processed and the purpose for the processing.
You will be given the opportunity to 'opt-out' of having your personal data used for purposes not directly related to the Services at the point where we asks for information.
We have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification, unlawful destruction or accidental loss. Personal data that we collects will be stored and backed up securely.
All our employees and data processors, who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal data, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your personal data.We takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal data that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that personal data depends to a large extent on the information that you provide.
5. Information Sharing
We will ensure that your personal data is processed in a manner that is compatible with the purposes indicated above.
For the stated purposes, your personal data may be disclosed to and you hereby consent to disclosure of your personal data to the following Authorised Third Parties, within and outside Malaysia, as third party data controllers or processor:
- Public authorities, other GMCA Group companies, other insurers, co-insurers, re-insurers, insurance intermediaries/brokers, and banks;
- Other GMCA Group companies, technical consultants, application developers, experts, lawyers, loss adjustors, service provider/repairers, medical doctors; and service companies to discharge operations (claims, IT, postal, document management); and
- Advertisers and advertising networks to send you marketing communications, as permitted under local law and in accordance with your communication preferences.
- In the event of any contemplated or actual reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in any insolvency or similar proceedings; and
- To meet any legal obligation, including to the relevant ombudsman if you make a complaint about the product or service we have provided to you.
The aforesaid Authorised Third Parties may be processed your personal data both inside and outside of Malaysia and the European Economic Area (EEA), subject always to contractual restrictions regarding confidentiality and security in line with applicable data protection laws and regulations. We will not disclose your personal data to parties who are not authorized to process them.
Whenever we transfer your personal data for processing outside of Malaysia or the EEA by another GMCA Group company, we will do so on the basis of GMCA’ approved binding corporate rules known as the GMCA Privacy Standard (GMCA’ BCR) which establish adequate protection for personal data and are legally binding on all GMCA Group companies. Where GMCA’ BCR do not apply, we will instead take steps to ensure that the transfer of your personal data outside of Malaysia or the EEA receives an adequate level of protection as it does in Malaysia and the EEA. You can find out what safeguards we rely upon for such transfers (for example, Standard Contractual Clauses) by contacting us as detailed in section 9 below.
6. Your Rights To Access your Personal Data and Limits its Process
Where permitted by applicable law or regulation, you have the right to:
- Acces your personal data held about you and to learn the origin of the data, the purposes and ends of the processing, the details of the data controller(s), the data processor(s) and the parties to whom the data may be disclosed;
- Withdraw your consent at any time where your personal data is processed with your consent;
- Update or correct your personal data so that it is always accurate. The accuracy of the personal data depends to a large extent on the information that you provided to us;
- Delete your personal data from our records if it is no longer needed for the purposes indicated above;
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, for example where you have contested the accuracy of your personal data, for the period enabling us to verify its accuracy;
- Obtain your personal data in an electronic format for you or for your new insurer; and
- File a complaint with us and/or the relevant data protection authority.
Where permitted by applicable law or regulation, you have the right to object to us processing your personal data, or tell us to stop processing it (including for purposes of direct marketing). Once you have informed us of this request, we shall no longer process your personal data unless permitted by applicable laws and regulations.
Subject to some exceptions allowed by law, you may exercise these rights by contacting us as detailed in section 11 below providing your name, email address, account identification, and purpose of your request. You may also make an access request by completing the Data Access Request Form available via www.globalmedicallassistance.com/privacy. We reserve the right to charge a fee for your request and to refuse your request by providing a written explanation for such refusal.
7. Retention of your Personal Data
We will retain your personal data for 7 years from the date the contractual relationship ends unless a longer retention period is required or as permitted by law.
- Policy information – 7 years from expiry, completion, or cancellation.
- Claims information – 7 years from settlement of claim
- Complaint information – 7 years from receipt of complaint
We will not retain your personal data for longer than necessary and we will hold it only for the purposes for which it was obtained and as long as the purpose it was collected for remains valid and thereafter for a period of seven (7) years or any other period of time required and/or permitted by law.
8. GMCA’s Websites and Applications
GMCA provides its Services via its websites and applications. When you visit GMCA's sites and/or download, install, or use our applications on your smart phone, computer or other electronic or mobile device, our servers generally record anonymous information such as the time, date and URL of the request. This information assists GMCA to improve the structure of its websites and applications and monitor their performance. From time to time GMCA may also use Authorised Third Parties to analyse this anonymous information.
GMCA’s websites and applications may require standard information such as a login ID, password, your personal data for verification purposes, contact details and identification numbers. This information is necessary for GMCA to provide the services you applied for. You are required to maintain the secrecy of your login ID and password enabling you to access GMCA’s website and applications. It is strongly stressed that GMCA will not be able to secure the personal data if you reveal your login ID and password to anyone.
9. IP Addresses and Cookies
We also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. We collect and manage IP addresses as part of the service of providing internet session management and for security purposes.
Our website(s) may transmit to your computer a “cookie”. A cookie is a package of data that allows our server to identify and interact more effectively with your computer having to spend time on identifying you, thereby also providing additional login convenience. You may configure and personalize its current browser to refuse, reject or delete such cookies.
10. Interest Based Advertising
Interest Based Advertising is a way of making advertisements more relevant to you based on your personal data provided by you. In order to provide you with Interest Based Advertising, we may collect information about your activities and use that information to associate you with one or more pre-defined interest categories. We may periodically provide you advertisements that are tailored to your interests.
11. How can you contact us?
If you have any queries about how we use your personal data, you can contact us by telephone, email or post as follows:
Global MediCALL Assistance (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Data Protection Officer
Address: 24-3F,Jalan Setia Perdana BF U13/BF,Seria 88,Seksyen U13,40170 Shah Alam,Selangor,Malaysia
Tel: +603 3359 6969
12. How often do we update this privacy notice?
We regularly review this privacy notice. We will ensure the most recent version is available on our website www.globalmedicallassistance.com/privacy and we will tell you directly when there’s an important change that may impact you.
This privacy notice was last updated on 10/07/2016.